This I Believe: Practice Makes Perfect

Michelle - Oologah, Oklahoma

This I Believe: Practice Makes Perfect

In today’s fast paced world of meetings and deadlines it can sometimes be easy to

become frustrated with individuals who don’t do perform tasks the way we think they should.

We wish, while rushing from one place to another, that there were more hours in each day. We

cram as many activities possible into our busy lifestyles. Before we know it our children are

grown and on their way to college. We wonder where the time goes. Wouldn’t life be nice if we

lived like the Cleavers; mothers would not have to work and could stay home and take care of

their family? So many days I ask myself if it’s all really worth it; working, because financially

my family needs two incomes; and going to school to further my education because I want to be

paid what I feel I’m worth. Is it worth missing so much time with my family or should I just be

satisfied with the blessings I already have? Sometimes in our busy day-to-day lives we tend to

be grouchy, irritable and impatient when someone or something gets in our way causing us to

become behind in our daily schedules. I believe if individuals were more patient we could make

the world around us a bit happier and more peaceful.

I too, can sometimes be an impatient person. I want instant gratification. For instance,

like the time when my husband and I put our house on the market for the final time. We decided

until it sold, we wouldn’t give up like we had done two times previously. Several months went

by with a many lookers. Some were interested, and we would get our hopes up only to be let

down when the deal fell through. After so many times of this happening we began to question

whether or not we were doing what was right. Maybe we should be happy with the house we

had already. If we would have had more patience we would have realized that God had a plan

and everything happens for a reason. You see, the entire time our house was on the market we

looked for another house to buy and never could find one we liked that was in our price range.

The houses we saw were either too small or we didn’t care for the neighborhood. Finally, we

found the house we loved and wanted to buy, and what do you know, our house sold the next

weekend. Just like learning to have more patience while trying to sell our house, I have learned

to have a lot of extra patience since becoming a mother to two very rowdy boys. I keep my cool

by taking deep breaths because if I let them know they’ve gotten the best of me then they’ve

succeeded. I believe if individuals practiced more self discipline and had patience with others

many senseless acts, like child abuse and road rage, could be eliminated. Some people are so

quick to blow situations out of proportion and react in rage when they feel they are no longer in

control. I teach my children instead of lashing out with violence or hurtful words they don’t

really mean, they can take deep breaths or count to ten when they feel angry. If more adults

thought before they spoke there might be less hatred and violence in the world.

I have recently come to the realization that accomplishments, such as a college degree

and home improvements, do not happen overnight. I must have patience and not give up before

finishing. I believe a person can achieve any goal he or she sets his or her mind to accomplish.

After all, that is what I teach my children, so I must set a positive example. Have patience and

never give up!