Cell Phones and Life: My Belief Statement

Kyle - York, Pennsylvania

I believe that losing my cell phone(s) has changed my life. First of all, it’s made me one of the most pessimistic people I know, and at the same time it has let me see situations in a more positive light. Instead of looking at my current situation and thinking how bad it feels, I look at all the really bad things that could be happening and realize that losing a cell phone is nothing compared to, say having inoperable cancer.

To understand how losing my cell phone led me to my revelations you must understand the severity of my problem. You see, the world seems to end when I lose things. Not just any things, important things, and believe me it happens ALL THE TIME, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. Not two weeks ago I left my cell phone out in the rain for three hours and when I found it and realized it wasn’t going to work, I thought I was going to die. Or the time I lost my other cell phone. Or the time I lost my other cell phone. Or even that time I lost my other cell phone. Can I reiterate how bad I am at keeping track of things? And after every time I lose something I think about how I am so stupid and how I will never amount to anything. One particularly bad incident involving yet another cell phone left me alone in my room thinking how bad my life was. As I sat there daydreaming, I thought of a man on the news who had been brutally beaten for no reason whatsoever and was left for dead. I began to think about all the bad things that weren’t happening to me. For example, I’m not dead or dying or even thinking about croaking anytime soon. I didn’t just lose a million dollars only a cell phone. Just like that I realized that losing my cell phone is so unimportant compared to all the great important stuff that happens all the time. Now, when I have a problem I think about all the bad things that could be happening and suddenly my situation gets a lot better. Plus, one person can only lose so many cell phones…I hope.