Whitney - Soldotna, Alaska

The thought of being alone is never a fun thought to think, but being alone and being independent are two extremely different things. I interpret the word independence as thinking for myself and being able to try new things on my own. I believe independence is a life quality that everyone should have.

Independence has to do with confidence, so when I meet someone for the first time I can usually get a sense of whether they are an independent person. I typically base this upon their attitude and if it consists of holding their head up high and having a positive attitude. Having an independent and confident look makes me more approachable and likeable to be around. During my years in school I was always surrounded by many different kinds of people some very capable of acting their own and others always needing a shoulder to lean on. Wanting someone to be by my side is not a bad thing, but always relying on someone else does not always help in the long run.

I like to think of my self as an independent person, but that doesn’t mean I don’t ask for my friend’s opinions or agree with their ideas and use them myself. Being independent doesn’t mean I can’t have friends, it means that I have control over my own decisions and others not easily influence me.

One person that I depend on most of the time is my mom. One person she depends on most of the time is herself. I don’t know anyone more independent than her. Being raised by a mom like her she has taught me to be a leader and not a follower, and it has taught me that being able to depend on myself will get me as far in life as I allow it to. When my high school journey is over I hope that I will have a sense of independence to live my life with many friends but have the capability to go my own way and make my own decisions.