I belive in friendship

Moiz - austin, Texas

I BELIVE In Friendship

Late nights, flashy clothes, loud music. That was basically my weekend back in my hometown in Toronto. No, I didn’t do it to seem popular, nor did I do it to tick off my parents – although that did happen a lot – I did it because it was my chill time, my time away from school and the problems I faced at home with my parents. But most importantly, it was the time I got to spend with my friends. My friends; half of us were soon to be flunkies, the other half were destined to do great, the kind of people who wanted to put the whole world on their shoulders and fix all its problems. My friends. But no matter who you are or what you’re going to do, you will eventually need a friend.

We sort of had a clique, kind of like an exclusive Middle Eastern clique, known throughout the circle of high schools in our area as the brown crew. If a stranger were to describe us, they would probably say something along the lines of disrespectful hooligans, not a care about their future, just living in their own little world. But we were more than that, we were friends, friends who no matter what the problem would always be there for each other, always there to lend a helping hand, always.

A couple of months ago I moved away from my friends. Not just a couple of blocks away, try a couple of thousand miles away. The people I thought I would graduate with, enjoy prom night with, the people who were always there for me, I moved away from them. If I had a choice I wouldn’t have moved, I would have stayed there, but unfortunately for me I didn’t have a choice, I couldn’t stay there.

Moving away gave me a lot of mixed emotions, I no longer have the sense of security I used to have, and I start to get depressed, away from my parents and familiar places. This is a perfect situation in which it would help to have one of my friends to help comfort me, but I don’t. So here I am missing my friends, reminiscing about all the adventures we had, I wish they were here. Here to help me with the ever-growing anxiety I have about university and about my future. I took them for granted before; I never thanked them for being there for me in times of need. I never needed to actually. It was sort of assumed, an automatic, after all they were my friends. The fact of the matter is my friends helped raise me as much as my parents. If it weren’t for them I probably would have given up on school, I probably would have given up on everything, but because of them I didn’t, because of them I am what I am.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that friendship is important. Whether you’re big or small, smart or average, every one needs a friend sometimes. A lot of people say that the friends you make in high school, the ones you grew up with shouldn’t matter, that they are not really your friends. Well I disagree; they do matter, especially to me. I would never change my friends, their opinions and criticism is what I like about them. Today I know that I can call up my buds or instant message any of them, and they could wash away my worries and fears, and I know I wouldn’t need to thank them, although I should, because after all they are my friends.