Perfect Practice

Taylor - Davie, Florida
Themes: sports, work

I am a fifteen-year-old boy and sports are a big part of my life. Everyday I am doing something to make myself a better player, whether it’s training or just watching game film. I think if you are not going to give it all you’ve then you shouldn’t play. The reason I try to get better is so that I can one day play professional ball and see myself on the front of one of those cereal boxes. But before I can become a professional player I have to take it step by step and it all starts with practice.

I believe that perfect practice not just practice makes perfect. Everyone practices to get better so they can excel and do great when game day comes. Many of my coaches have told me many times that practice makes perfect, but I think that is a lie. I think that statement is a lie because when you practice you could just do enough to just get through. But when you practice perfectly you make yourself better by strengthening your weakness. Sometimes when I just do enough to get through practice I feel as if I didn’t accomplish anything. Sometimes I even feel like I got worse.

I think there is no point in competing if you are not going to go for the gold. My coaches tell me that the player who wins is the one who is still up practicing while everyone else is asleep. I have heard of football players practicing day and night, but they are not just doing this to look good. They do it to make themselves better. Anyone can go through a week worth of practice by doing just enough to get through the day.

I‘ve personally experienced the result of a full week of perfect practice. It was the week I was practicing for my all-star football game. That week I gave it all I had. It would have been easy to decide that I already made it this far so why should I still push myself past my limit. Instead of giving in, I pushed myself and gave it all I had. That week every day I had a perfect practice. The week of perfect practice not only helped me to win the starting position as running back on my all-star team, but it also helped me win the all-star game and become the all-star MVP.

Why should you waste time and energy if you are not going to give it all you have? I have decided that from now, on everything I do I will give all I have and more. I don’t think you should ever waste your time doing something if you are not going to do it well. I believe that perfect practice not just practice makes perfect. That is why I will never waste my time doing something I do not enjoy.