I Believe American Teenagers are Degrading

Matthew - Pflugerville, Texas
Themes: children

I believe that American teenagers are starting to degrade when it comes to the way they treat others, the music they listen to, and the morals they possess.

I can remember in my younger years when students would show a little more respect to others and themselves. When you could walk through the grocery store and hear teenagers answering their parent’s questions with “Yes Sir, No Sir or Yes Mam, No Mam”. You would also see them wearing the kind of clothes that actually fit there body. But today when you walk through the grocery store you don’t here the “Yes Sir, No Sir” instead you hear teenagers cursing their parents out and you see them wearing clothes that are either ten sizes to big, where you can see their underwear, or clothes that are five sizes to small that make it look like their legs are screaming, “Help”. I can also remember when teenagers would ask for what they want with “May I” instead of commanding what they want and expecting their parents to give it to them. I don’t believe that it is just the teenagers fault. The parents still have the responsibility to teach their sons and daughters the difference between what is right and what is wrong. Back in the day this was something that parents did just because they new they had to but in today’s society parents could care less if their children grow up respecting others or themselves. Parents you are one of the main reasons teenagers are degrading.

When it comes to the music that American teenagers listen you can see a drastic change between now and five years ago. I remember when you turned on the radio and you would hear Louie Armstrong singing, “What a Wonderful World” or Lee Greenwood singing, “God Bless the USA”. Today if you were to jump in your car and turn on the radio you wouldn’t hear anything close to Lee Greenwood or Louie Armstrong instead you would hear Snoop Dog singing about sex, or some other rapper rapping about drugs or about cheating on his wife. It’s sickening. Why can’t music be about enjoying the good things in life instead of giving teenagers ways to mess up their lives? Musicians, you are also a reason why American teenagers are degrading.

I remember if you talked to a teenager five years ago and asked them what was important to them and what they wanted to be you would hear something like this, “Well my family is really important to me and so is God. And When I grow up I want to be a Doctor or maybe a Lawyer.” But today if you asked a random teenager walking down the street the same question you would probably get something like this, “Man all I care about is getting laid you know getting high that’s all I care about.” . What is happening to our teenager’s morals? I wonder why it is that now all teenagers care about is what happens on a day to day basis instead of what is going to happen to them in the future?

See no matter how you look at a teenager’s life, whether you examine the level of respect they give others, the kind of music they listen to and the words included in the song, or you look at their out look on life you can see why I believe American Teenagers are degrading.