Take Advantage

Jayson - North Miami Beach, Florida
Themes: death

People must enjoy the presence of their family members before it is too late, this I believe. I was only two years old when my grandfather died of cancer. Although I do not remember much, watching videos and seeing pictures of him makes me regret that I did not get to know him. He was interested in art, and many of his paintings are hung up on the walls of my home. Later, when I was about six years old, my cousin died of cancer as well. I was a lot older, and had a very good relationship with this cousin. It was a very heartbreaking moment of my life because it was the first time that a family member I had gotten to know was taken away from me.

For all of these reasons and after every death that I encounter, I try my hardest to see my living grandparents or call them because I know that unfortunately, one day I will not have them by my side. I believe that a grandchild should call their grandparents every night, even if it is just for a minute or so. If I were to say that I do not have enough time because of homework, I am lying. Anybody can always give up five minutes of each day to call their grandparents and see how they are doing. They should let them know that they still love them and cherish their company, because if they do not, then they will just regret it in the future. As I have grown up, I have learned that my family is the most important thing in my life. We make it a priority to meet every Sunday night at a Cuban restaurant (because my family escaped from Cuba almost 50 years ago) and just converse and see each other in person. My grandparents always retell stories of how they escaped the Communist government in Cuba and recount stories of how they adapted to American culture. I have created such strong bonds with my remaining grandparents and other members of my family, and I know that when they pass away, it will be very hard to recover the trauma, but know that I will move on and never forget them. I will be glad to have created such strong bonds, and know that I will never forget them no matter what.

Death is always very melancholy and depressing, but one must accept it and feel lucky that they were given an opportunity to know this dear person and create such a strong bond. It takes a while to recuperate the death of a close family member or friend, especially one who has had such a strong impact on your life, but knowing that you were such a big part in each others’ lives makes it all better. People must take advantage of the time they have to spend with their loved ones. They must bask in their presence because one day, they will have to move on with their presence only in their mind: this I believe.