This I believe

Lindsey - Davie, Florida

It was all about me. Ever since I was born, being the youngest in the family, I was always the center of attention. Everyone would always surround me with kisses and hugs and I would take it all for granted. I got what I wanted when I wanted because I knew that I could. As I started getting older, I continued to think that everything did revolve around me. Being fortunate enough to be raised in that type of environment, I began to see the annoyed expressions on my family member’s faces, because I became a spoil brat. I would start to get jealous when my parents would praise my brothers for their accomplishments. I did not realize that I was making myself the center of the universe. I would start to admire other people’s lives and try to relate them to mine, this way I would realize how fortunate I was. When I would go back to school, those less fortunate became just a memory. This was like a constant trend I would begin to second my actions and then that sudden thought would begin to fade and I would go back to my usually unthankful self. Life was all about me.

As I continued into my teens I cared less if everyone’s attention was not on me, but I would never put anyone before myself. When my parents needed my help, I didn’t bother to move an inch. Then everything changed, my brother and sister-in-law arrived by surprise. Jason handed my mom a bib that said, “I love my Grandma;” right then and there I knew everything was going to change. From then on it was all about my nephew, Rylee. The day Rylee was born I had this new feeling inside me. I could not quite get my hands around this emotion, but I knew it was something different. From the day the baby was born I found myself volunteering to help. I was in a lot of pain because I had had some surgery myself. I still continued to help and not think about myself. When it was time for the baby to go home, I was the first one to the house to help. I made lunched for everyone, did the dishes, let the baby sleep in my arms, walked the dogs, and helped around the house. By the end of the day I was sitting in bed and realized that the only thing on my mind was my nephew and not me. I only thought about what I could do to be with the baby and help the parents out with anything they needed. The people who are always there for me need me in return. It is not all about me. This I believe.