My Mother is Always There

Jackie - hollywood, Florida

I believe my mother will always be there for me. My mother has always helped me through everything, good and bad. We have a special bond that no one can break. From the time I was born, she knew how special our relationship was going to be. When I was born, I never wanted to leave my mom, and I still don’t. I know that my mom will be there for me whenever I need her, because of all the things she has done for me already.

Everyone says that I am a spitting image of my father, but I believe I am more like my mother. This began to forge a special bond between my mother and me when I was four years old. We were at my uncle’s house for a family barbecue, when my cousins, siblings, and I decided to go swimming. I didn’t know how to swim very well, so my mother made me stay on the steps while I played with my toys. When the sun started to set, my mother told us to get out of the pool for dinner. When she went into the house to get us towels, I dropped my toys and they started to drift into the middle of the pool. I went to go grab it and I started to fall, losing my breath under water. My sister ran inside to tell my mom that I was drowning, but by the time she went outside I was unconscious. My frantic mother dragged me out of the pool and performed CPR, and my mother saved my life.

Now as a young adult, my mother continues to be there for me. My hypotension, or low blood pressure, causes me to faint. I have found that every time I faint, my mother is always there to catch me. The first time I fainted was at my brother and sister’s b’nai mitzvah. My mom was mingling with the guests and I was trying to have fun with all the older kids. However, when I started to feel strange, I went to my mom and she stopped what she was doing to help me. Suddenly, I fainted, in her arms, I didn’t wake up for one minute, which felt like a life time to my mother. When I woke up, seeing my mom’s face, made me feel all right and comforted. The rest of the night, I didn’t leave my mother’s side, and I felt that that moment strengthened our bond.

I believe that my mother and I are connected in a way that no one can understand. My mother knows what is going on inside my head. She knows when something has gone wrong in my day. However, when I am upset, I just remember her smile and our astonishing relationship and that will get me through my day. I believe my mother will be there to catch me when I fall.