I believe music can soothe the mind

Kelsey - Hollywood, Florida

As a student in high school, work becomes stressful. The only way I know how to deal with this stress is by coming home and listening to music. It calms me and makes life easier to deal with. Music makes me look my future right in the eyes and tackle the problems that stand in the way, as a regular teenager going through normal struggles. Music has been an incredible source of healing, storytelling and therapy since the beginning of time. Music has mystical powers in itself and I believe that music can sooth the mind.

Different cultures have their own music that symbolizes who they are. I come from a Latin background and the fast up beat rhythm of salsa and meringue is in my blood. This music represents me, who I am and where my family comes from.

The reason I decided to write about music is that as a little girl I used to sing. Music would take me away, nothing could ever stop me. I would become one with the music and it would become one with me. I looked at music many different ways and each genre has its own meanings. Country would tell me a story; the beat in hip- hop would drive me crazy. A great music legend that let people understand the music was a famous artist Tupac, “Only God Can Judge Me” was one of his famous sayings, letting people know he really didn’t care what people thought about his music. When I listen to music it’s not just the beat that gets noticed it the words and how you can relate them to life. There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t relate my life to a song. I sometimes feel like I am living through the music.

As a child I use to sing whenever and wherever, whether it was at weddings, church, or at family get togethers. Music was my life and no one could stop me. I would sleep, eat, and dream music every day. I was a dedicated singer and always dreamed to become a professional singer one day. My family and I did everything we could to get me out there and noticed. I pushed and pushed myself, but I pushed myself over the limit. Singing wasn’t fun anymore it was now some sort of a job. I quit singing about 4 years ago. Music is still a part of my life I will never let it go. Every now and then you’ll hear me singing in the car, or in the shower. I will always have my voice with me and music will always remain in my heart.

Music can open your mind to several things. Music is something everyone has their own opinion and memories about. Everyone has their own ways of calming down, and I believe music can soothe the mind.