A Believer’s Prayer

DaVona - Henderson, Kentucky

I believe by being sincere when you pray God will hear you and answer your prayers. My parents raised my sisters, brother and me as a very spiritual and loving family. I would not have known how to pray otherwise. My parent’s always taught us: “A family that prays together stays together.”

When my grandmother got sick we decided to move to Henderson Kentucky to help take care of her. Winter was seemingly long, as though it would never end like the Golden Gate Bridge. I remember being nervous about the trip. I did not want to travel in the cold. The aroma of fried chicken filled the air, as my aunt prepared dinner. My sisters and brother and I tried playing games and doing bible studies to keep busy.

The day of our move from Louisville to Henderson, turned out to be the most stressful move ever! It was very cold outside, the chilling wind blowing my hair. The smell of my uncle’s cigar filled the air. My aunt and cousins gave my family and me hugs and kisses and wished us a safe trip to our destination.

We were an hour away from Henderson when my mom became ill. She slumped over the steering wheel saying her stomach was hurting really bad. However she managed to drive without the car swaying.

Finally relief! As we saw the Henderson exit, we knew we were closer to our grandmother’s house. When we arrived at grandma’s house, my oldest sister got out of the car first, ran up to the door and rung the doorbell. My grandmother opened the door and saw my sister crying and asked what was wrong. My sister told her mom got sick in the car on our way here. Dad pulled up and grandma told dad mom was sick and to get her to the hospital. Mom could barely walk, she wasn’t saying anything, and she seemed weak! Dad helped mom get into the car and he took her to the hospital.

Dad called and said mom had pneumonia and the doctor wanted to keep her over night. Mom didn’t want to stay;she said she wanted to be home with her family on Christmas. Mom stayed at the hospital and dad came to pick my brother, sister’s and I up from grandma’s house to visit mom at the hospital. We arrived at the hospital and put presents on the table in moms room. My brother, sisters and I gave mom a kiss on her forehead, making sure we didn’t disturb her from sleeping. Mom was laying in bed, her eyes closed, arms over the white hospital sheet with Dad standing next to her looking calm and brave.

The next few days of that very cold winter seemed to pass quickly, as mom was starting to feel better. The day mom came home, the weather seem so much better to me. Although it was cold outside, the sun was shining; I could finally breathe fresh breath of air. I was so happy mom could come back home and be with the family. Mom was smiling so big and beautiful like the bright yellow daisies my sisters and I used to pick. Her smile brightened up the whole house. It was a really great feeling.

Mom said she was happy to have such a loving family who constantly prayed for her to get better. Now 20 years later my mom is still here with me and my brother, and sisters. My parents have been married for 38 years now. I believe praying had a big impact on our family. Being sincere and believing that God will answer our prayers helped my mom to get better, and for that I am grateful!