I believe my generation can stop global warming

Karl - Fairfield, Connecticut
Themes: science

I believe that global warming is real and is a serious threat to our lives, but I believe my generation can stop global warming. My generation accepts global warming, and as a teenager in it, I believe it isn’t too late to do something. If we all chip in and do our part to stop global warming, we can make it become a thing of the past. Far too many people are negative about the effects of global warming; they say that it’s far too late to do anything because the effects are permanent. I believe these are the lazy people who are all too willing to sit back and accept the consequences.

Then there are the ones who don’t believe in global warming at all. I believe anyone who doesn’t accept there is global warming is stuck in denial. In the last century the sea level rose 5 to 6 inches above normal; this is caused by melting of the ice-caps. The number of category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled over the last 30 years. If this warming continues the Arctic Ocean will be ice-free around the year 2050. Some of this might seem unrealistic to some and ridiculous to others, but the evidence is there.

In the words of Al Gore, “There is no doubt we can solve this problem. In fact, we have a moral obligation to do so.” We as a society need to step it up and make small changes to our lives to fight global warming, and I believe we can rise to the occasion. I believe that if put to the task, people could make changes that are small enough not to affect their daily lives, but large enough to potentially save the planet. I believe this country is not too far behind, and other countries aren’t either, to pull it together and do something beneficial. I believe we can do such things as: turn off the lights when we leave the room, carpool to work with someone who lives near you, buy fluorescent light bulbs, use mass transit and pass on the word to others. I believe there are also bigger, more substantial things that can have a huge impact on global warming. People could buy hybrid cars, put up solar panels, or switch to a different electric company, one that harvests an alternate source of energy such as solar, wind or geothermal energy.

I believe that if everyone puts forth just a little effort, we can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide, particulates, and all other kinds of harmful man-made emissions. I believe we should stop talking about it, because talk is cheap, and start something that will push for a better tomorrow. I believe the industrial leaders of my generation will put forth their best effort to stop global warming because they are educated, and they realize what the consequences of doing nothing. I believe that everyone, including myself, can change for the better.