Live Free

Emma - abc123, Idaho
Themes: fear

Some people are afraid of things like heights, or the dark. These sort of, irrational fears which don’t do anything but limit you. Fears, which confide life to something less than what it could be. But me, I am afraid of time. Of not having enough of it. Or the friends and family of this voyage of life, not having enough. Imagine, what it would be like, just for a moment, not having to worry about time. But that’s not going to happen. Because every second that ticks by is lost forever. And every second that ticks by, only brings us closer to the end. I think that everybody will experience a tragedy that makes them realize the importance of time. That event, however big or small could really make you see. For me, that time came almost four years ago.

Some people say that when you’re not expecting something wonderful, something wonderful happens. Four years ago my family and I went to visit my Grandma at her house on Seneca Lake. There I noticed a stray cat, who liked to come and walk around with me. Well, we ended up taking him home with us. Mulbox was my new friend, my new companion. He was sweet, and gentle, and even got along with my dog, Shaggy. He was always there for me, and it felt like he always listened, even when nobody else would. I remember when I would sit on the ground and roll bells for him to chase. He would pounce and paw them, and now whenever I hear a bell ring I remember him. Shaggy liked Mulbox too. When Mulbox was there, Shaggy had a friend home with him when everyone else was away. I think she misses Mulbox too. But good things never seem to last or maybe the bad always seems to overshadow the good.

One night, my mom came home from the vet’s office, and told us that Mulbox had leukemia. I remember sitting with him, and praying for him to hold on, and hoping that the cancer wouldn’t spread in him. But God must have not been listening. As the months progressed, he grew steadily worse. He became more solitary, and more tired. I remember, as time counted down. Everyday I would awake, and wonder if this would be the last day for him. But he managed to pull through. But not for long. On that Monday morning before spring break, I awoke, and I just knew. Today would be the last day, I ever saw him again.

To anybody who has ever lost somebody so close to you, I know how it feels. They say you move on, but you never do. Memories may dim, but the love you feel for them never comes to an end. Time is unstoppable, so make yours worthwhile, and when it does run out, you haven’t missed a thing. Because every second that ticks by is lost forever. And every second that ticks by only brings us closer to the end. Don’t let it bother you. It’s not that life’s too short, it’s that we don’t use the precious time we’re given. Don’t let the past hold you down. Remember and forget. Live free.