All Because of a Piece of Cake

Kaitlyn - Thompson, Connecticut

It was a Tuesday afternoon during the lunch period. Lunch had been served and now a majority of the cafeteria waited patiently for the desert to be put out. The moment it was placed onto the counter, in the reach of the students, everyone ran to form a line including myself. Being served today was a moist chocolate cake and it seemed as if everyone wanted a piece. Like most days, people grabbed more than one and simply dwelled upon on how much cake they could possibly take without getting caught by the kitchen staff, rather than thinking of the other twenty people behind them in line. I wanted that cake badly too, for it did look absolutely scrumptious. As I gazed down the long line of people to where the platter was located, I soon realized that the amount of food on it was slowly diminishing. Five, four, three, two pieces left and suddenly it was my turn, it was the last piece of cake. After waiting in the long line I wanted to grab the cake off the platter and save it for myself, enjoying every last bite. It ran through my mind for a second, when suddenly the girl behind me and the look of disappointment on her face caught my eye. Then a second thought ran through my head and I decided to give the last piece to her. She looked slightly shocked at first that someone actually would give up the last piece. Though it was soon gone and her face quickly lit up. She said thank you and I received a great deal of satisfaction for what I had done.

I believe in putting others before myself. Though the cake seemed so tempting at the time, I realize that eating it would have done absolutely nothing for me, whereas helping another did. Later on that day, the girl saw me and thanked me. I am certain that it was not for the cake, though for the thought itself. The example of the cake is extremely small in its entirety, and is only there to represent something larger. It represents a more crucial situation where deciding on whether or not to put another before oneself may not be so easy. I think that when one puts themselves second in line that particular person gains the satisfaction of helping and caring for others. It is funny, shortly after my “cake” experience a similar event took place, however I was the one short of a cookie. It goes to show how good it made me feel that someone, who I never talk to, would think of me. Allowing others to have something better than yourself is often a difficult task and it is one of the more challenging parts of life, giving the best to another, and settling for second. The next time that the last piece of cake sits there, we should all take the time to consider how it could help another, rather then ourselves.