I Believe In The Power Of Music

Martha - Garland, Texas

Martha C

1

This I believe. I believe in the power of music and the healing of the soul that it brings. Throughout my lifetime music has become my passion, my relief, and my strength in various parts of my life. I believe in its power to console the heart when it is overwhelmed with grief or disparity.

What expresses the many emotions of the human soul? A simple verse or lyric excites the thoughts of listeners everywhere. I store in my heart a fierce passion for music; its creativity, its rhythmic tones, and its smooth melodic verses attract me like a bright yellow sunflower to a buzzing bumblebee.

On a long Monday filled with homework, baby-sitting, and household chores, music becomes my savior. Earlier this week I had one of those long dragged-out days that most humans have. I was tired but couldn’t yet relax my mind with all the tasks that were left to complete for the day. I turned on my MP3 Player, the hours became minutes, and the workload became a way to become tired and gain a good night’s sleep.

Who are my musical heroes; Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Ray Charles, Prince, and Sam Cooke just to name a few. Musical inspirations who have evolved music into an expression for the common person. Imagine yourself living in the 1970s and 1980s, during a time when a struggle was ending but a new struggle was just beginning. Now imagine yourself resting on the front porch watching the young girls swinging jumpropes and playing hopscotch with a boom box playing the rhythmic tones of sultry music from the 70’s. Music is like a cool glass of lemonade, on a hot summer Texas day.