The Color I Believe In

Brandie - Dallas, Texas

Brandie B

1718 Robert B. Cullum Blvd.

Dallas, TX 75210

(972) 749-5200

Irma Rangel Young Women’s Leadership School

The Color I Believe In…

“They take my kindness for weakness, they take my silence for speechless, they take my uniqueness for strangeness, they call my language slang, they see my confidence as conceit, they see my mistakes as defeat, they consider my success accidental, they minimize my intelligence to potential, my questions mean I am unaware, my advancement is somehow unfair, to voice my concern is discontentment, if I stand up for myself I am to defensive, if I don’t trust them I am too apprehensive, I am defiant if I separate, I am fake if I assimilate, my character is considered under attack, pride for my race makes me too black.”

When you look up black, when black is described, or even when you see black it’s almost always associated with something negative. According to Webster, black is the characteristic color of soot or coal, or a person of a dark skinned race. But according to Brandie, black is more than a characteristic color or a defined race it’s the nickname of African-American. It’s the description of an African descendent engaged in the American culture. Black is what revolutionaries and activists risked their lives for; for a race that we would be proud to claim and represent. Black is what I believe in.

I’m Black; I’ve been black for about seventeen years. I’ve appreciated my color for as long as I can remember. I wear it, I flaunt it, I strut it, and it’s all I know. It’s what God made me and it’s what I believe. People often question my passion but that question is unanswerable. The statistics are ghastly, the specifics are grisly, but the race is immense. We are empowered and can be extremely empowering when used correctly. Being Black interprets superiority, and it’s the color I believe in.