Michael - San Ramon, California

I believe that all media should be free; music, software and information in general should be accessible for free. I believe the persecution of people who make media free is wrong. They are merely doing their part to guarantee access to the people, I believe their persecution is a sign of dark times ahead involving everything from our government to the basic right of freedom of speech. I believe and contribute to piracy; I believe in the underground movement to allow media to be shared. I have embraced piracy and my beliefs through my acquisition of a large and broad collection of media ranging from music to software that otherwise I could not afford or obtain. With this media I have broadened my horizons, learned numerous skills and have in general made life easier for myself.

Nothing has been done to protect my rights to access the arts in digital format. In days past I could copy a tape and hand it to a friend to listen to. Now when I copy a CD to give to a friend it is considered a federal offense. The situation is so bad that on certain media formats they have made it impossible to copy using encryption keys, without these keys I have lost the right to duplicate and store my media as I see fit. Why is it these encryptions keys have to be found through exploitation and many hours wasted trying to defeat hostile formatting by large corporations?

Where have my rights gone? It appears to me that the large corporations of America have stolen my right to openly distribute and share a commodity. I believe that the arts are thinning out to a monopolized censored commodity controlled by large corporations. The Recording Industry Association of America is the biggest enemy to the piracy movement. They are bent on the persecution of people who share media on the Internet. The RIAA is waging a campaign that shows no mercy or understanding, pointing broad fingers and indicting anyone with no discretion to their social status, age, or capital value.

I believe one-day people will no longer prosecute those involved in piracy rather, let them be. I have donated money to the cause of protecting those who make use of piracy services and preventing their persecution. There is no international law outlawing the downloading of media. Why must I follow laws created not by government but by special interests groups trying to maintain their immensely large cash flow?