live every day

Brandon - danville, California
Themes: carpe diem, death

We have all been told to live everyday like its our last. With this statement comes the idea of sky diving, having an amazing steak dinner, or traveling to that one place you always wanted to see. To me, living everyday like its my last does not involve a parachute or a trip to Hawaii. I believe in cherishing those around me as if I will never see them again. It’s so easy to forget that tomorrow is never promised. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes the worst to realize this unsettling truth.

In the short nineteen years of my life I can’t say I have experienced it all. However, I do understand the things that matter most. On a Saturday morning, in mid December of last year, I received a phone call that no one ever should. As I picked up the phone I heard my friend Kelly crying hysterically. In that very moment I knew the seriousness of what I was about to hear. One of my closest friends, Chris, had been in a fatal car accident the night before. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t talk. I couldn’t believe. I didn’t want to. This was something that couldn’t happen. Not to the guy that I grew so close to. Not to a life that was so young. As months went on realization did as well. I began to understand what I had and will no longer have. I would think about the hugs we had and how I wished I held on a little bit longer, maybe a little tighter. I reflected on the jokes, smiles, high fives, arguments, and the nights spent just talking. The past shouldn’t be dwelled on because it can’t be changed. All one can do is try to learn and grow from it. Something that I never thought would happen did. A friend that I never thought I could lose was lost. I look back now and understand how important every moment truly was. With that, I look at what I have now with a view I never possessed before. I cherish the time I spend with my friends and family more than ever. The hellos are looked forward to quite a bit more. While the goodbyes have become a little bit tougher. The uncertainty of what could happen at any moment drives me to love, care, and appreciate a significant amount more.

Chris is and will always be on my mind. I believe that life is to short for grudges. I believe in spending time with friends and family as much as possible. I believe in rejoicing rather than regretting. I believe in treasuring the people you love. Life is not always fair. Sometimes there aren’t answers to the countless amounts of questions that need to be answered. What I believe in is what I can control and what matters the most. Knowing how important each moment is with the people I care for.