Jeff - San Francisco, California

I believe in karma. I realized this belief after searching online for good quotes. A man by the name of Wayne Dyer once said: “How people treat you is their karma; how you rect is yours.” After reading this quote I began to think about one of my close friends. Although we are close friends, I still think he is an a**hole.

He is always mean to people he doesn’t know very well, he never has a ride, he always needs money, food, always relies on other people, such as me. Whenever he comes up to me, he usually has a bad attitude, and since I believe in karma, I react as he reacts to me which is mean.

But when I respond to him in a negative way it affects me negatively as well. Everyday with him is usually the same. We start off the day playing basketball, and of course I want to guard him. Whenever I guard him, I play tight defense so I can block his shot and embarrass me. Usually he ends up shooting over me and makes it in my face. After that everyone laughs at me because I have failed and I receive bad karma.

As the day goes on our karma tends to switch. I try to get him back by doing something nice because if I don’t do something nice he will continue to taunt me with my earlier mistakes. I buy him something to eat, but he doesn’t say thanks. When people don’t share their gratitude with me I feel disappointed. So the next time I have food and he asks I usually don’t give him any because he never says thanks. He receives bad karma because he doesn’t think about the little things that may affect other people. When you forget about karma, it comes back to haunt you.

If I am the last one to do something bad, in the chain of bad things that happen between my friend and I, it usually ends up back to me. “And thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenge,” said by William Shakespeare. Since I don’t share my food, he doesn’t share anything when I need or want something. For instance at the end of the school day, I was going to take bus to my friends house, but I had no dollar. My friend had 2 dollars, but he refused to lend me one because of the harsh acts I have done to him. I respect his decision because how he treated me was his karma, but how I chose to react was my karma.

So as I reflect back on my day, I have come to realize, Karma is a b*tch. Think about what you say or how you act before you do it. One wrong move can kill you! This I believe.