Something To Look Forward To

Angela - Soldotna, Alaska

I can honestly say that nothing remarkable or life changing has happened in my life. So, when I was given the task of writing about what I strongly believe in I was stumped. I haven’t gone through anything in my life that makes me really believe in anything. I read through the stories of so many people telling their tales about love and tragedy. These people have witnessed and endured more pain than I could possibly imagine. They have experienced miraculous things of which I know nothing. All the things that happened to them in their lives left such a mark on them that they can unconditionally believe in something. Then, I realized that I did believe in something.

Questions ran through my head as I read these amazing stories. How am I supposed to match their wisdom? What do I believe in? What’s happened to me, in my mere 15 years, that’s changed me? I realized that these questions were the answer. I can’t match them. I’m a freshman in high school with my entire life ahead of me. That is the only thing that I can know for sure. Reading all of these stories made me realize that I have something to look forward to. That thing isn’t one event or a promise of happiness in my future. That thing is the knowledge that something is going to happen to me that will change me forever. I know that the future is always there to look forward to new experiences. I know that I will experience amazing things and learn lessons I can’t learn in school. While I may not have anything in my past to learn from yet, I know that one day I will.

Many people my age have gone through hard times in their life or experienced things they will never forget. I just haven’t yet. Instead of thinking I’m lucky that I didn’t have to go through what they did or being jealous that they have a great story to tell and I don’t, I think about how everyday I get to wake up and look forward to the rest of my life. Any day could be the day that I never forget. Any day could be the day that changes how I look at life forever. I can live happily knowing that I always have something to look forward to in my future. I have an entire life ahead of me.

One day I will be able tell my life-changing story to everyone. I’ll be able to say what I strongly believe. I’ll be able to say I have lived my life to the fullest, made mistakes, loved, lost, and learned from it all. I can’t say that now, but I know I will be able to someday. I have an entire future ahead of me. That is what I believe.