Alicia - South San Francisco, California

I believe that the SATs are not needed for college. Not only do you need to pay for them, but what is the point of them? To me, the SATs suck and do not reflect the knowledge of a student. Many tests only show the ability a student has to memorize something. The SATs are no different. How can this type of test demonstrate a student’s knowledge? Even if a student studies, the test only covers a limited amount of knowledge. That is why not everyone can show their true potential just by taking the SAT. My brother who goes to UC Berkeley tells me that although, it is a good school, there are students out there that lack knowledge in other subjects while achieving a high score on the SAT. For that reason, I cannot judge a person just by their SAT score.

The main thing that is stopping me from going to the college of my dreams would be the barrier of the SATs. I question myself on how it would look if I get a low score on the SAT while always maintaining my grades. Would all my hard work and effort not be seen because of this? Knowledge and education are not used for a test but for life. The classes I take now may all seem only for a test, but I am sure that what I learn now will help and be in use in the future. The SAT is not going to measure my knowledge.

The SAT is pointless and a waste of time, as said in one of my SAT prep books by the Princeton Review. When I try using a SAT book to review, the recommended strategies do not help me to answer the questions. Maybe it is just me, but many of the questions are subjective and can be viewed from different perspectives. Who can draw the line and say THIS is the right answer? The same applies to the essay part of the test. Depending on ethnicity, place, and lifestyle, everyone has a different view on how they write or talk. The SATs cannot draw the line between those diverse perspectives. In addition, there are other factors that can affect a person’s performance. Having stress from school work, family, and friends can contribute to getting a low score. Also, if I am nervous, I would feel overwhelmed by the test. Futhermore, many foreign students have a language barrier; if they do not know English well, it will affect their score. Even if they were top students from before, the SATs might show that they are not.

Overall, I believe that maintaining school grades, GPA, and rank is enough to determine if a student is able to handle the college environment. For this I believe that the SATs are incapable of determining a person’s intelligence and it is not needed for college.