A Friend You Can Count On

Charissa - Lapeer, Michigan

Most people find police officers scary and intimidating. Could it be because most officers are big and macho? Could it also be that the officers are armed with weapons? I believe and know almost all cops are nice and live a life just like you and me. I personally have had the opportunity to be around cops during my childhood. My father used to work for the Westtown-East Goshen Regional Police Department as a police Chaplin. With this familiarity, I can honestly say police are and want to be your friends.

The reason most police officers seem intimidating is that they put their lives on the line for us. They have no idea if the suspect has a weapon or not. All that the police officers want to do at the end of the day is go home to their families. If people are vulgar to the officers, of course, they are going to give them an attitude back, just as you and I would do. Officers just would like some respect like everyone else. They put their lives in peril in hopes for us to be protected and safe.

I have had some fun memorable times with the police. My family and I used to go to the police station for Christmas parties and things of that nature. Some of the cops would do card tricks for us, and occasionally play pranks on us. One time when I was at the station, one officer put my brother and I in a holding cell. They then took our “mug shots”. My most favorite memories with the cops were when they would stop by our house and hang out. They would go outside and play catch or basketball with my brother and me. It was so much fun. Now it is so comical to look back and see those big macho men playing with a five year old and a seven year old!

Being raised in a house where your parent is put in danger can be frightening and nerve-racking. Since all police families feel this, there is a “brotherhood”. Cops and their families are always looking out for each other even when they are off duty. This helps the families relax a bit. It is kind of one of those things that you really have to be a part of to truly understand how the “brotherhood” functions.

I believe with my whole heart and with out a doubt that cops are friendly. They just seem grim on the outside to help protect themselves. Just as anyone else would, the cops want to go home in one piece to their families. Therefore, if everyone would respect and give them an easier time, that would help make their job a little bit easier. Police officers’ being mean and nasty is just a stereotype that needs to end.