My Acceptance

Elizabeth - Davenport, Iowa
Themes: setbacks

I believe it is possible to overcome large challenges with hard work and perseverance. I believe a person shows true strength and character when faced with difficulties. I would never have given this much thought had it not been for an experience that helped me see how a life-changing event can ultimately lead to living a better life.

Almost three years ago, when I was twelve years old, I was lying in a hospital bed in a dimly lit room, overwhelmed with the challenge of incorporating my newly diagnosed disease into my life. I was very far from having a full understanding of where my life would take me and how I would cope with my illness.

Around one o’clock in the morning, I was told by an insensitive doctor that I have Type 1 Diabetes. My first reaction was to deny that piece of information. It was simple; I was afraid. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that someday everything would be okay and I could handle it, but I was still frightened. At that point, lying in that hospital bed, the only solution I could muster was to run away as fast as my legs could carry me.

After my many struggles to accept my diagnosis, I now have a solution that works well for me. Instead of running away from my seemingly impossible challenges, I face them. Consequently, I now have my diabetes under great control. I know my disease will never go away, but I live being ever conscious of it and consistently taking care of myself. I changed the way I do almost everything in my life, including how I eat, think, and live; however, I believe that I have changed my life for the better. I am now in control of my life and my diabetes.

I have discovered that rejecting the truth does not work for me. Some people pretend that their problems do not exist. I believe that integrating my disease into my life shows my strength; refuting the truth shows weakness. I used to try, sometimes without realizing, to be like my peers. I tried to hide my true self and my diabetes from them. I concealed my insulin pump in my shirt where no one could see it. I needed to become comfortable in my own skin and not worry about what other people think. I now am not afraid to have my insulin pump showing on my hip. I believe that with accepting myself and finding the good in life, I have ultimately become a stronger person.

Through being diagnosed with diabetes, I have come to believe I can accept whatever life throws at me. I live my life as best as I can, and work, mostly without complaint. Three years ago, I would never have thought my diagnosis would help me become a stronger person, but it has. I believe that with great strength, it is possible to overcome large challenges in life.