Carl - Daly City, California

I believe that classical music would be cool if everyone listened to it. I love classical piano because each composer has one job, to tell the story through his piece. There are crazy composers; there are straightforward composers; there are peaceful composers; there are powerful composers; there are clever composers; any composer you can think of. They all share a common goal, to distribute the story out to the listener. People like me don’t just listen to the song and say, “That was a nice piece,” or “That guy was crazy.” I say, “He’s trying to paint the picture of what he saw as the nature of mankind through an enharmonic yet angry tone of jumping chords on the left hand and a rush of trills on the right hand.” I’m not just showing off my musical talent of playing the piano for almost eleven years, I’m just telling it how it is. A minority of people just listens to rap or punk rock (examples) without looking at the roots of where they originated and call the roots boring or just “lacking musical interest.” From my perspective, classical music is the most historical music in history dating back to the Baroque period, which Bach lived. My favorite time of period was the romantic period with two of my favorite composers—Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin—who both worked together at once and then became rivals. I call Chopin my favorite composer of all time because of his unique style to write poems on the piano that not only soothed the brain but the body too. Liszt is also number one on my list because he could utilize every single note on the piano in one measure of music. I find his music very difficult to play because he uses sixteenth and eighth notes in six-eight time signatures; his music may be crazy but he is also able to capture the violent beauty of the world. He is basically like a Shakespeare on the piano. Anyways back to my topic, classical music is a beautiful style of music and if everyone listened to it just once and found a favorite composer—like I did—maybe people would adore its beauty and stories it has to share. This I believe.