Inner Strenght

Kirsten - bellaire, Texas
Themes: setbacks

All Things Considered, September 9, 2007. Rubbing my puffy sleep drenched eyes, I watch our Daddy turn on Sports Center like he did every morning at six thirty. Our mother laid our lunch money on the counter as if it were an ordinary Monday.

As people grow and time passes and unfortunate events occur, sometimes a rift is formed between people who once loved each other. Our parents were no longer together, yet every day, our Daddy was there to send us off to school and tuck us into bed. He never left until all four of us kids had shut our eyes, but he was back before we could open them again.

At first, we felt as though my parents were playing with our heads, tricking us into thinking everything was ok. Soon we would learn that they were trying to keep our hearts steady because time with our Daddy was limited.

Three months have passed since we have seen him. We know it’s hard for him because the first time we ever saw him cry was the day all four of us kids hugged him goodbye. We are lucky because the mail comes and the phone rings and the car will make its way to Beaumont soon. Each letter and call is filled with his personality, kissed with his love, and strengthened by his courage. Somehow, he can manage to make the sun shine upon a place where most would say there is darkness.

I believe that there is this rare type of strength which allows someone to set aside their feelings and desires in order to save the lives of the ones they love.

I am who I am because of my Daddy’s strength and foundation. If each moment he was home reeked of pain, if each letter which he wrote was sorrowful, if each call that he made was filled with complaints, I would crumble from depression; I would not be the smiling, goofy girl my Daddy sees in his pictures. I want my Daddy’s strength that he had through the tears of adversity for my friends, my family, my brothers and sisters, the ones that I love, so that they too, may have a steady foundation.

I love you Daddy.