In Pursuit of Time

Kim - Brandon, Florida
Themes: respect

I have to confess that the other day; I was trying to beat the stoplight on my way to work because I left a little later than usual. I also confess that I went a little faster than the speed limit. All because I am required to punch a time clock for my pay and my boss hassles me when I am even a couple minutes late. I must also confess that this was not the first time this has happened. There never seems to be enough time anymore. A couple of weeks ago I needed a few hours to take care of a credit card problem. A few hours was an accurate estimate since the time I was on hold plus the time I spent being passed around from department to department really ate up the time it took to accomplish ten minutes worth of business. It seems to me that businesses expect me to value their time slots, but very few value my time at all.

When I discovered the mistake on my credit card I was required to stop everything, make a number of phone calls, fax verification or proof of the error, make a trip in person to my bank’s branch office and follow up with all parties concerned – all for someone else’s mistake! There’s also the fender bender accident I had once where I was hit from behind (not the one at fault mind you) and yet I was the one running all over town for estimates, car rentals, etc, on my own time! What about the doctor visit where I have arrived ten minutes before my appointment only to sit in the waiting room for hours?

Lawyers send bills which break down their billable hours for making phone calls, faxes, writing letters, etc. etc. I wonder if I could do the same somehow and deduct the cost of my time from my bills. For instance, say I earn $25.00 an hour at my job, so when I take time off work and arrive on time at the doctor’s office but spend an additional hour waiting; at the very least my $25.00 co-pay should be waived. I believe that my hours are as important as anyone else’s, especially those who work for companies that take my hard earned money without any thought to the time it takes me to earn it.

I believe that if all consumers made use of their dollar votes by choosing to trade mostly with those businesses that understand the value of this commodity and avoiding those that do not, we could minimize this rampant waste of time.

Just think, if we hard working consumers all united and demanded more respect for our time through boycotts and picketing, businesses would take notice. I can see companies falling all over themselves to win us back as customers. We could really make a difference by working together.

The trouble is who has the time?