Environmental Responsibility

Candace - Dublin, California

I believe every person has a responsibility to do something to keep our environment safe,

healthy and enjoyable for others for years to come. I believe we need to treat our environment with

care and in return it will treat us well. If more isn’t done to protect it, we will pay for it in our near

future. I believe people should be more environmentally conscious. The best way to take care of our

earth is by using the 3 “R’s”, reuse, reduce, recycle. Ever since I was a young girl, I have been conscious

of recycling and limiting the amount of waste I create and the natural resources I use. My community

and schools put a big emphasis on taking care of the environment when I was growing up. I believe that

even though many people speak as though they care for the environment, their actions often speak

Each time I take my garbage and recyclables to the trash area, I see many items that could

have been placed into the recycle bin but were thrown in the trash. If I am able to reach, I grab

those items from the trash bin and place them in the correct recycle bin. I may get a little dirty but I

don’t mind. I can’t fathom the idea of recyclable and reusable items ending up in a landfill, in our

beautiful oceans or worse, dumped in the streets and villages of a third world country . Why should

needless trees continually be cut down when all we need to do is recycle the paper products already

used or take shorter showers to conserve water? I don’t consider myself to be an extreme

environmentalist, but I do believe in doing what I can to reduce my footprint on this earth. For example,

I turn the water off while brushing my teeth and only run the dishwasher when it’s full.

I believe there is a world outside of the United States and we need to think of others, not just

ourselves. People cannot pretend that if they ignore the issues of what’s happening with our trash and

how it’s ending up in other countries that they don’t exist or will go away on its own.

Our decisions and actions to ignore the environment affect more than just those in this country. I

believe there is a problem when our trash, items such as paper, plastic bottles and electronic items end

up in a country like Ethiopia. I believe if people reduced, recycled and reused whenever possible, our

impact on other nations and this world would be greatly reduced or even eliminated. If we don’t start

now when will we start? I believe if every person tried a little more, it would make an enormous

difference. We only have one earth. We need to protect it for our friends and family, our children,

grandchildren and great grandchildren to come.