A story of creation and living in the creation

George - Durham, North Carolina

From Jeremiah chapter one, verse four: Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.

I believe that we were all known before the world knew us. There is a master plan in our formation.

I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen.

I believe in baby bunnies being protected in tall grass, no matter what the cost. If I have cut ten acres of grass, with just that one tuft remaining, and that one outcropping is all that stands in the way of completing the job, don’t disturb the family. Leave the grown grass as a blemish on the otherwise perfected accomplishment for every neighbor and passerby to see, as an indication of my carelessness. But it is really my carefulness to protect life. Leave the bunnies safe, as an offering to the world.

I believe in starting projects everyday, like running and writing. I start them, and then put them away, when we begin to fight with one another. It might be a sore knee, or a cluttered thought, but I will know when the fight has begun. I walk or turn away and begin the journey tomorrow. The essential is to begin the projects everyday. The days that they work, and juices start flowing, I will barely stop or take breaks. But here is the kicker, the days that I never start, do not even have a chance of being great runs or whole chapters to a book.

I believe that life is so truly sanctified that we never destroy it—not even when it suffers. God never conceded what we think God did—which was that we could end suffering. No, we can only show gratitude for life.

I believe in reconciliation found in the kind of blessed community where centuries of racism, are not undone, but shared, and lived out among one another. If we could live with those who look different from us, we might not kill them.

I believe in a God who is not in a rush like I am. An old friend once said, “We have all the time in the world to get into relationship with God.” I should give patience a chance.

I believe in God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth…