No Matter What Happens Life Keeps Going

Estela - Phoenix, Arizona

When I was 4 years old, my grandfather passed away. It was a big shock to me. I didn’t understand what was going on. Why everything happened so quickly. I remember seeing my aunts and my grandma crying with sad tears in their eyes. By that time my dad and uncle were on their way to Mexico from Phoenix. When they got to my grandmas house I remember seeing my dad with a really sad expression on his face. It was something completely new to me especially coming from my dad. He had never seemed to express sadness before.

The day of the funeral all my family was there. Everyone was sad to see that my grandpa had passed away. A few weeks later my dad and uncle went back to Phoenix. Days after my mom, brother and I went to phoenix too. The whole way over there I was sad. I felt like I was leaving everything that I loved behind. Once we got to my aunts house my dad was happy to see us.

We only stayed there for two weeks after that my dad got an apartment. The neighborhood we lived in was really dangerous. Not a day went by that someone wasn’t shot. You would never know if it was your turn or not. I remember every night before we went to bed my dad would put the couches on the windows that way bullets wouldn’t go through. We would sleep on a mattress. My brother and me were in the middle and my parents on the side. After a year of living there we finally moved. This time into some apartments across the street from my uncle’s house.

After living there for three years we moved because my dad was able to get a better job, to move into a trailer complex. I was excited but mad because, I didn’t want to move. I already had a lot of friends. I was also going to school with my cousin. When we moved my mom enrolled me into school.

When I graduated 8th grade my dad told me that no matter what I do in life he will always be by my side supporting me. I did things I regret like running away from problems at home. I let the people I loved down for people that weren’t worth it. In order for me to realize that it took the life of my best friend. He died when he was really young by a gunshot. He was at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I learn to take care of myself because no one else will. No matter what happens life keeps on going. Life is not going to wait for you to decide when you want to stop or keep going. No matter what you do the world continues. You can choose to take control of your life or let life to take control of you. It took the life of my grandpa and my friend in order to realize that life doesn’t care and no matter what happens life keeps on going. Life won’t stop just because you have problems. It’s just something that is handed to you to make it what you can. You decide if your life is going to be the way you want. Just remember that no matter what happens life keeps going.