I believe that one person can make a diffrence

Ian - San Diego, California

I believe that one person can make a difference. Many think that they can’t make a difference because they aren’t rich or powerful, but that isn’t true. Ever year I make a difference for a homeless family in Mexico. This event may not be written down in the history books, but to me and that family it makes a big difference.

When we arrived to the building sight what I saw was just saddening. The family usually lives in a shack with a tarp for a roof and a dirt floor, almost all of them have small children. Around the house garbage is laying everywhere and stray dogs running wild. All of the families that we build have jobs, but this makes it somewhat sadder. Most of the families we build for only make fifty dollars a week. That’s less than we spent each time we are at the pump. The first time I went down to build a house it was for a family that the grandma took care of because the dad was an alcoholic and the mom was in jail.

When we first arrive there is nothing but a slab of concrete and a pile of lumber. First we build the walls one at a time. Then we start painting by hand. Many of the local kids come down to see what we are doing. They often try to make furniture out of the scraps of would we leave behind. Sometimes during lunch break we go play soccer with them. By the first day we have all of the walls standing.

The second day we tell the family to leave so we can surprise them with their new home. We start working on the roof and the inside of the house. On the second day more of the neighbor hood kids come down to see what we are up to. After we finished the house, we work on putting together the furniture and unloading donated items for the house.

When the family comes back they are shocked. Even before they come inside the house they jumping for joy. When the family comes I into the house is the best part. When they come in most of the time they cry out of joy, even the dads. By the end of the second day we give them the keys to the house.

I truly believe that I made a difference.