Fortune Cookies

Jill - Bettendorf, Iowa

My dog, Toby, loves fortune cookies. I like the fortunes inside. It is a treat to crack open the cookie and see what the small, white slip of paper reveals. Will it be funny or true? My friend once found one that actually said, You like Chinese food”! I wonder who writes these fortunes. Sometimes they really aren’t fortunes at all.

Stuck on my refrigerator, along with the calendar, pictures and magnets are three fortunes. I saved them because they reflect my beliefs. The first one reads, “A different world cannot be built by indifferent people”. I believe this is true. When we hear about or experience things that disturb us, it becomes an opportunity for change. It is when we sit back and accept intolerance or injustice that we reject the possibility that things can be better. Just one person can make a difference.

Another fortune suggests we should, Take the advice of a good friend”. When someone we know, who truly cares about us, tells us something, I believe we owe it to ourselves to listen. We do not always have to do as they say, or even agree with them. But when we know they have our best interest at heart, we should at least consider their opinion.

The third fortune states, “Love does not always wear a friendly face”. As the mother of three sons in their early twenties, my first thought was about setting limits and consequences. However, I believe it is more than that. It is about loving people when it is hard. It is easy to love our children when they are newborns or sleeping toddlers. It is quite another to love them when they are sullen middle schoolers or reckless teenagers and it can be hard to believe thay love us in return. The face of love can be sad when dealing with an aging parent with Alzheimer’s Disease. It can be frightened for a spouse or angry with a friend. Sometimes it is hurt or disappointed. But through all of these faces, I believe it is the tolerance, respect and the ultimate love we show one another that makes the difference.

So, I believe if we look closely, we can find hints about how to live our lives in unexpected places, like in fortune cookies.