Unshakable Faith in Love

Rachel - Franklin, Indiana
Themes: love

Unshakable Faith in Love

The world knows many different kinds of love: a mother’s love, the love of a pet, love for food, and romantic love are just a few examples. I believe in romantic, fairy-tale love. The kind of love that ends in “…and they lived happily ever after”. This type of love is thought by many to never exist and can be explained with theories of physical and sexual attraction. I believe in its existence and prefer to think of it as unexplainable; a feeling one knows in their heart.

I have heard many criticisms about my absolute faith in love. People have questioned whether I would continue to believe in love if I had never met the man I would marry. My answer is yes. I see love in other people and the world around me. Although we live in a broken world, it is important to recognize and share love. Recognizing love in the world helps me realize our relationships with each other are far more important than the doldrums we often see in life and sharing love may inspire us to change any pessimistic outlooks. I believe this in my heart regardless of my own experience with love.

People may also question if I have watched too many fairy tales. The truth is, I have. I have seen them all and wished one day I would find my prince charming. Although I am more likely to live in an apartment complex instead of a castle and ride off into the sunset in an old S-10 instead of a carriage, I will take what is offered because while I believe this love exists, I know it is not perfect. Just as one will never find a perfect person, one will never find a perfect love.

I believe this imperfect love can last forever. Many may think this is an optimistic statement, but I trust that two people can love each other unconditionally for the rest of their lives. Loving a person until death do you part does not mean it will be easy and you will always agree, but I believe true love will always be at the core of a relationship. As a result, this love will change over time. As a couple grows, together and separately, love will grow. Newlyweds may wish to spend every moment with each other, but couples married fifty years may sleep in separate bedrooms.

Each person has their own idea of love and personal experiences can shape one’s perception of love. As I look over my parents’ relationship, I realize they are unhappy. To me, love without some degree of happiness is false love. Growing up in a household with false love controlling a marriage has helped me form my opinion that love is much more than being married and living together. Love is a powerful emotion shared between people that can transform a hard day and make enjoyable days even better. Love is knowing that someone will always support you, despite bad decisions. My ideas of love may be idealistic, but it is something I truly believe in.