Transitioning to Civilian Life

Michael - Marysville, Washington
Themes: family, war

This I believe…No one knows where they will end up in life.  Life will continue to throw one curves, challenges and always surprises.  I have been retired from the military for nearly four years and have struggled to transition into civilian life.  Just finding my place in the civilian working world, my home and most shockingly, with myself.I was in the military 20 years so much of my belief system, habits, living conditions, work conditions and my hourly schedule each day was dictated by military regulation and traditions.I have a family, but they seemed to be more of a side interest than the most important part of my life, I struggle with that thought and reality everyday and made a promise to myself that I would make changing this part of my life my number one priority.Now I am a civilian.  After trying many diverse and interesting jobs, from a home improvement warehouse, to an analyst with a top law enforcement agency, to an administrator with the state prison system and now as an investigator with a government department, I have learned that one just can not predict where life will take you.Now I am much closer to my family, and they are the most important part of my life. My family has helped me find my place in the community, in the work force and most importantly, with myself.  I still have my demons, like most people, but, luckily I have my family to help me find my way, and I thank God every day that they love me, this I believe.