I Believe in Second Chances

Samantha - San Bruno, California
Themes: forgiveness

I Believe

I believe in giving second chances. I’ve been through tough times when it comes to forgiving my friends and even my family. The result of finding out how a friend or family member has betrayed me in some way is painful. Either if it was small or big, the size of the issue does not matter to me, but rather if they did it. I have recently been betrayed by a close friend of mine who I told everything to. She told one big secret of mine to the person who was never meant to hear it. Of course she did not actually mean to do it to me, but for her to bring the subject up was a big part of why I feel I cannot trust her anymore.

It all started one night when I called my best friend, Loren, for help on homework. We were talking about a chemistry lab at first then the topic changed, as fast as I dialed her number, to how my secret came out. As I listened, I felt more and more devastated at how my close friend told my secret and told Loren that I would talk to her tomorrow. When I went to bed I began thinking; deciding if I should forgive my close friend for what she did. I came to the decision of leaving it off to the next day. As the next day came, I decided to ignore her and see what will happen. It hurt to see that she acted as if she didn’t do anything wrong. The day wore on and I realized how much it sucked not to talk to her; however, the fact about her telling my secret kept popping in my head.

I’ve been deciding and thinking for days if I should forgive her. In the end I came to the fact that not having her a part of my life wouldn’t be the life I would want to live. I gave her a second chance. Till this day she still hasn’t realized that I know she has told my secret. I hope next time that the secrets I will tell her won’t come out of her mouth again. Maybe next time when she knows I figured out what she has done, she will not take my forgiveness for granted because I think there wouldn’t be a next time for her.