Hard Work Does Pay Off

Holley - Hewitt, Texas

I believe, that in the long run, people that work hard get what they deserve.

Where I live, Little League Softball is big. Actually, that is an understatement. It is a legacy. Winning the Little League World Series was not dreamt of, it was expected. Anything less was unimaginable. Fortunately, when I was twelve, we won. Though, for me, the win was somewhat bittersweet.

I was one of the few kids that year who made the team because of their ability and talent, instead of who their parents were. My parents taught me that I had to earn what I wanted on my own. Though, they helped me enormously by making sure that I was the first one to practice and the last one to leave. Despite my annoyance and the constant bickering, I did work hard. I was the leading hitter, I was in the papers after every game, and the younger kids looked up to me, but this all was soon forgotten.

It was the first inning of the Regional Championship game, the last game before the World Series. I hit the ball to short-stop, I tried to run it out, but something went wrong. The first baseman was straddling the bag, and I had fallen over her. I laid there for a second, then got up, and walked to the dug-out. I knew something was wrong, but I was going to try and tough it out, just like every other injury. I tried to hide it, but when you can’t even throw the ball, it kind of gives it away. I was immediately rushed to the doctor. I waited as patiently as I could. It was broken. I couldn’t play. I cried. I didn’t cry because of the pain. I cried because I had lost my chance to win and prove I was the best.

Everything seems like a blur between that point until the time we actually won. My teammates cried with joy. They hadn’t disappointed their parents, their community, and they hopefully spared themselves from the wrath of the typical Little League parent. But, as I stood there, I didn’t care that we won. I felt that when I got older, I would achieve something greater than a Little League World Series Championship, where the names would be forgotten the next year when a new team would be chosen. I felt like I deserved something greater for all the hard work I had done.

So, my freshman year in high school finally came, and I was the only one of the girls from the team to make varsity. All four years, I have done everything possible to prove myself to others, to persevere when they try to put me down. As a senior, there is only one other girl left from that team. Though, I am the only one with a college scholarship, a scholarship to a Division I college.

My hard work and extra practice has paid off. I have confidence it will continue to for years to come, because I believe my hard work will get me what I deserve.