Laughter

Delissa - Soldotna, Alaska

I once knew a lady who told me not to cry when I fall down and get hurt. She told me to just laugh. Laugh it off. You feel better than when you cry. If you start laughing, you overlook the fact that you got hurt. Maybe sometimes you won’t forget about it, but it makes the healing process easier. In fact, laughing seems to heal. It has a quality that automatically makes you feel relieved and much lighter of heart. I believe in laughter.

For a reason unknown, laughter seems to help me through my troubles and worries. It cheers me when I feel down. I don’t know what it is about laughing that makes me feel better, but I imagine it’s kind of like crying. I believe that crying is an antidepressant that comes with a headache and swollen eyelids, but laughter has no side effects (except for when you laugh too hard and your abs start to hurt). There have been many troubling times in my life where laughter has been an encouraging companion.

My sister has helped me laugh my way through heartaches and sorrow. I am forced to sleep in the same room with a very, well let’s just say, interesting person. My sister and I had just recently returned from a retreat with our church, when I found myself in a confused state. I was extremely depressed and angry. The cause for this anger and depression? What else could give a teenage girl such sorrow but, of course, a guy. I was lying in my bed trying to hide my tears in my pillow while my sister was in the bathroom getting ready for bed. I suppose that she saw me crying, even though I was trying to hide it, and she guessed the reason for it.

This jovial sister of mine grabbed her notebook and started doodling. I had no idea what she was doing, but I didn’t really care. I was too self absorbed in my depression to take notice in anything else. She somehow managed to crawl around the edge of my bed unseen. I opened my eyes and there she was with these little paper puppets. At first I was angry because I did not want her to disturb me from my reverie. My sister then acted out a little play with these stick figure puppets about the whole issue I was dealing with. This little scene went on for a while, and somehow, no matter how much I tried to act mad at her, she made me laugh. I started and could not stop. She then ripped up the paper puppets, showing me that the whole issue that I was dealing with was ridiculous and that I didn’t have to put myself through sorrow for a guy.

My sister always seems to know how to cheer me up. After that, this whole “tragedy” that I was going through didn’t seem to matter that much. I knew that as long as my sister could make me laugh like that I could make it through almost anything. There are times when I wish I didn’t have to share a room with my sister, but there are also times when I know that I wouldn’t be able to make it if I didn’t. As long as the world has laughter, it doesn’t matter what happens. I’ve learned to laugh things off. There are times when I can’t do this very easily, but when I laugh, even if it’s just a chuckle, it relieves some of the pain. Bill Cosby definitely knew what he was talking about when he said, “You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it.” I believe in laughter.