Everything Happens For A Reason

Eloyd - Phoenix, Arizona

This I believe, that everything happens for a reason. All the hard times and all the hard periods in our lives that we call “hell” happen for a reason. We go through the hard times in life to burn and collapse, not to be punished but to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. To help us grow and evolve into a better person and prepare us for life. To show us that everything in life is possible and nothing can bring us down.

When I was younger, I use to sit and wonder why things happened the way they happened. Why did I have a madman as a father or why was the next-door neighbor cruel? I use to ask myself the same question everybody asks themselves all the time, “Why me?” We may not be so certain why such things happen and why it happens to specific people, but we know that things can flip and turn better.

When I was about seven or eight years old, I believed I was living in hell. Every day I saw my mom and my “so-called” father get into arguments. I thought a father was supposed to take care of his child, teach him about life, and make the right decisions so that his child could follow him and become a great person in life. But that was not the case between my father and me. He was a dictator in our house; we always had to listen or the consequences could be devastating. He was not only a dictator but also more like a heartless monster. My sister and I witnessed our father hit our mom just because she didn’t have extra money for him to complete the rent money. At the time my mom was pregnant and my sister and I were small and innocent to know what to do to help. We just melted to the floor and cried ourselves a river. Suddenly, I saw the devil’s eyes look straight into mine and he followed by saying, “Why are you guys crying? Don’t you see how she is treating me?” Then he left the house and I felt that I had just woken up from a nightmare; but once I saw my mom on the floor, I knew it all had really happened. A couple days later, my mom got the news that she had lost the baby. That’s the day I started seeing my father as a murderer and as a coward.

Now I know why my life as a young boy felt tough; I was going through a point where I was developing into a stronger person. It was not punishment that I felt anymore, but a sense of relief at my rebirth, just like the phoenix. I don’t sit back and wonder why things happen the way they do. I know everything happens for a reason and this I believe.