I Believe That Everyone Should Be Treated Equal

Tyler - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: equality

Just about everyday there seems to be a person or a group that was not treated fairly. All people are different, each having their own way of doing things. Some people just can’t accept the fact that they are different, so they treat them differently. I currently attend junior high, and I witness many problems with equality at my school.

There is a group of kids that is considered the smart ones, which are also known to many people as the “geeks”. They are made fun of for getting good grades and doing well in school. At lunch, certain people will not sit with them. They are pushed around in the halls. They are often bullied after school. Just because their ways of doing things were different than other’s, they were treated unequal. This is very wrong!

When I was in 7th grade, I had many friends. I was a very popular kid. I would hang out with my friends just about everyday of the week! All of my friends accepted me and treated me with great respect because my standards were the same as theirs. I was having a great life. Over several weeks, however, their views towards me changed greatly:

There was this kid at my school whome nobody liked. He would try to fit in, but no one accepted him. None of the friends that I currently had liked him. They would not allow him to take part in our activities. When I found out about this kid, I decided that I should be his friend. I started hanging out with him many times a week. We would do many great things together: go swimming, go to movies, just plainly hang out. This became a lot of fun.

My friends still did not accept this kid. They began to change their views of me for hanging out with him. Because of their dislike of him and my acceptance of him, they began to dislike me. They all chose to no longer be my friend since I became his friend. They first treated the kid unequally, then led to treating me the same. All I did was have different views than they did. Inequality in my life has become a great problem.

Too many people are not accepted just because they are different. A group of kids at my school were not treated equal because they did things differently. My friends did not accept me after I became a friend with someone they did not like. I witness everyday at least one person that was not treated equal. Equality just won’t fit into some people’s minds. I am a 14-year old male, and I believe that everyone should be treated equal.