Soccer is more than a sport, It’s my sanctuary.

Jenna - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: sports

Everyone says “work before play”, and this usually is the case. When we finish all our work we like to take a break. Everyone has different styles of kicking it back and this is where soccer comes in. When I slip on my cleats and grab a soccer ball all my worries about school seem to be put on hold. When I play soccer I am ready to feel the excitement and power that comes with it. Soccer is my therapy, it is my addictive drug, and it is my way of expressing me. I believe that Soccer is the best way to take a fun break from life, and be ourselves.

School is a stressful part of my life. The amount of homework and the constant worry about grades is what causes this stress. My geometry class requires homework and at times I want to scream or cry because of it. There are days when I will come home from my horrifying geometry class and I still will not understand how to do the homework. But when soccer practice comes at 4:00 every day I am ready to focus on doing my best and forgetting about the geometry homework waiting for me at home.

While I play soccer I am able to fake a move left and go right, or smash the ball with my head and watch it fly into the goal. Then strut my victory dance across the field as everyone cheers for me and chants my name. If I were to do my victory dance in the halls at school everyone would look at me as if I’m crazy. Soccer is a sport in which you can express yourself by the way you play. The way that you move with the ball and work with your team is how people will adjust to you and learn to know you by the way you play. Soccer is my sanctuary, it is a way of showing people what I’m like and what I can do.

There are many words I can use to describe soccer; exciting, creativity, thrill, confidence, victory, tough, personality, and fun. Fun is the one word that I would use to explain my love for soccer. There is nothing better than the rush of adrenaline that tingles in your body when you make a sweet move or cross the ball directly into the goal. When I was playing on my High School’s soccer team I remember the wonderful feeling I had when I scored a goal in one of our games. I did my little victory dance and I’m sure my smile was larger than my face. I will never forget that feeling of happiness and satisfaction when my coach congratulated me for my hard work. That goal made me enjoy the game even more than I already do. Soccer is a very hard sport. But it is equally, if not more, fun.

Soccer is always fun and interesting each and every time I play. It is a sport that allows me to forget life struggles, and blow everyone away with my moves. There are many ways to kick it back and take a break from our hectic lives, but for me soccer is the best way and the most exciting.