True Friends

Danielle - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Have you ever had that one friend that knows all your secrets? The one that is so close to you that you finish each others sentences? I am talking about true friends, the ones you have stayed in touch with your whole life. They are your best friend and it has been that way for a long time. Because of these friends I believe that true friends are a constant in life.

In my life I know of only one person who I can truly call a lifetime friend. Her name is Nicole and she has supported me when I have struggled with my parents’ divorce and the hard times that came with it. As I reflect on the relationship that Nicole and I have created I remember the first day we met. I had just moved to California with my mom and my brother after my parents got divorced. My grandmother called up Nicole’s mother and set up a “play-date” for us. Nicole and I were around nine years old but I will never forget the day that we went to the beach and played in the cold ocean. Ever since that day we have been best friends. I will always cherish the times that we had together: the time her dog had puppies and we carried them around like they were our children, the time when Nicole broke her nose, the endless water fights that we had with her little brother, and the fights that never lasted longer than 24 hours.

Then came the true test for our friendship when I was faced with the decision to either stay in California or move to Utah to live with my dad. It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make but I finally decided to move to Utah. I had never known that the decision I made would effect me so strongly but as I continue to make my life in Utah I realize that me and Nicole are still best friends. We have stayed connected through email and the occasional phone call. I remember one particular phone call where Nicole was telling me about the guy she had met and I kept finishing her sentences. It was like our minds were connected. Even though we are really busy with our own lives we will stay friends. I realize now more than ever that my moving has strengthened our friendship and that we have passed the test with straight A’s.

I believe that true friends are a constant in life and I know that most of us have already found the friendship that has passed the test of time. I know I have.