I Believe Teenagers are Insightful…

Tiffany - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Have you ever stopped and noticed teenagers around you? What do you see? Do you see the teens sitting at home playing video games? Or do you see the teens doing homework before they watch T.V.? In our society we tend to focus more on the negative rather than the positive. Why is it that most people believe teens are nothing but wild, crazy and rebellious kids who have nothing better to do than party?

I’m in my 9th grade year trying hard to maintain good grades to obtain a university scholarship. Since the cost of a college education has risen teens find it hard to pay for college. So the need for scholarships are a definite must. My English teacher once told us about how when she was asked what she did for a living she would reply “I’m a junior high teacher.” Most people were astonished to find this out. They would reply “Aren’t those kids just awful? Isn’t it a waste of time? Do they even have anything good to say?” She would reply “Actually they are quite remarkable. You just have to give them a chance.”

Teenagers are not just the ones who party until the break of dawn, or who drive crazily down the road. We are better than that. We are under the constant pressure to ensure that our grades remain respectable. I know kids who study for hours at a time to get even the slightest bit closer to reaching their goals. Some adults look at us as if we are nothing more than kids who like to waste their time away and have meaningless ideas.

Now days scholarships are harder to come by than fifty or sixty years ago. Teenagers realize the importance of education. However some choose not to apply that knowledge. I know my parents are always encouraging and want me to do my best in school because they know that I have that potential. There are a good amount of teens who are excellent students with great grades. Most of the teens I know think logically through problems that seem likely to be impossible. This is what I believe. I believe that teenagers are insightful. Not only are we insightful but creative. We not only learn but teach.

As a child I also wanted to do good in school to be better than I am, because I know I can. Many of todays doctors, lawyers, and successful business men were once teenagers just like me. If they can become that great it gives me hope for my future. As my English teacher would say, “just give them a chance.” If the world opened it’s mind to see the great in everyone this world would realize the potential we all have. I am so grateful to live in this time where I have the chance to be more than than I could ever dream of. Let’s face it, in this world we triumph together and we fall together.