Samantha - Pleasant Grove, Utah

I know someone who is constantly having compassion for people who are in need: this person stops on their way to a place that they need to be at to get a little car out of the snow, this person comforted a dog that had been hit by a car, this person uses recycled wood when making cabinets, this person takes a little time out of their busy schedule to do little things to help anyone. This is what I want to be like, so I believe that I can do better at helping others with anything that I can do for them.

Doing service to others isn’t just another chore that I have to get done. Doing service is often just done spontaneously. Service as simple as recycling some leftover paper or giving someone a smile can really do a lot.

I love it when someone encourages me to do a challenge or helps me with homework willingly. When I get this help from somebody, it makes me want to do the same for someone else and then those people who I help probably have the same desire to do service for someone else as well. There is a man who lives in my neighborhood who does all that he can to help someone else. I have noticed that those people who get that help or service go and do the same for others. It is contagious. This is one reason why I believe everyone can do a little better at helping others.

Another reason why I believe this is because helping someone makes me proud of myself and it makes me happy. It would be great if I could think about my past and be able to know that I influenced people and helped a lot of people when I get old. Next time I see a broken down car or see a person picking up a bunch of papers that they had spilled, I want to go out of my way to help them out. I believe that I can do better at helping and doing so will benefit me at the same time.