Catia - Pleasant Grove, Utah

“But don’t you trust me?” It is a phrase we hear all the time. Trust is not something that everyone receives. It takes months, maybe even years to earn. It is earned through honesty, kindness, good actions, and, in some cases, obedience. A person who is not trustworthy cannot expect other people to trust them. This was evidenced to me by my sister. She is a typical teenager. Sometimes she can be very bratty and irrational. She occasionally tells lies, big and small, and rudely talks back to my parents. One day, she bough a cell phone online without my parents’ permission. When they found out she lied about it and told them she had given her new credit card number to her friend. She claimed it was her friend who had bought the phone.

My parents immediately called the bank and canceled my sister’s credit card. As they asked around, though, questioning her friends, more and more of the truth came out. My sister had not only bought the phone, but had lied about buying it. My parents were very angry and disappointed. My sister lost their trust.

Once this happens it is even harder to gain the trust again than it was to get it in the first place. I have learned from my sister’s disobedience that those who are trustworthy have more freedom. After a long talk with her, my parent grounded my sister for a month. The cell phone could not be returned, because my sister had lost the recharger. My mom took the phone and stored it in her room. If my sister had waited, my parents would have bought her a phone. Now she will not get back the phone she bought, or get any other phone, for a year. The repercussions did not end there. My sister cannot do things that she did before the incident. My parents no longer believe everything she tells them. She has a long way to go before they trust her again.

Because of my sister’s example, I am determined to not lose my parents’ trust, or anyone else’s trust, as she did. I try to be nice and honest to my family and friends. As a result, I have earned my parents trust, while my sister has not. My parents allow me to go to places my sister cannot go. I can have friends over when my parents are gone, although my sister cannot. This is because I have proven myself trustworthy.

This is the foundation of my belief. I believe the trust is not a right or a privilege: it is earned.