America’s Original Spirit

Rickey - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Freedom, courage, religion, spirit, sacrifice. These are five words, five ideals, that were shown and sought after when this country was trying to be created. Where are those ideals now? Does our country , as a whole, exhibit these characteristics? No we don’t, at least not as much as is necessary. We need to go back to what our founding fathers found important. The things that they said applies to us today. George Washington advised America to not have political parties. We should have listened! Political parties have split this indivisible nation. The candidate for your party might not be the best person to run the White House, and you know it, but you feel an obligation to your certain party.

The Thirteen Colonies defeated a world powerhouse! We weren’t afraid and we beat the best in the world. How did we do it? Was it our numbers? Nope. Was it the amount of our supplies? Yeah right. We beat them on guts, willpower, and a little help from above. We out hustled our opponents. We won the war because we had a burning desire to do so. America was fighting for something important: their wives, children, homes, religion, and freedom. The only reason the British soldiers were on this continent was because they were told to be here. Their homes and families were comfortably back in Europe. They were just doing their jobs, nothing more and nothing less. In simplest terms, America wanted to win more than England did.

Imagine this, a boulder is rolling down a hill. Someone goes up to a man and tells him that he has to throw himself in front of the boulder to stop it. The man could live or die. If he doesn’t stop the boulder, all of his family and neighbors get crushed. There’s probably only half of us that would jump up immediately and save our families, maybe less. Everyone else would think about doing it first and it would be too late. This is your family and you don’t jump right up and save them? Early Americans would do anything for their family and neighbors. They would never have stories of a mom killing her children or a kid stabbing his siblings like we do today. We’re complaining about troops being in Iraq, even though they’re saving our lives and changing the lives of millions of our neighbors across the world. They wouldn’t have complained one bit because they know it’s helping people.

We should never take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance and our motto! This country was founded on the want to worship Him and even if you believe in some Great Turtle or believe in nothing at all, we should keep His name in as a tribute to the people that formed this country. I believe that we need to follow our fathers’ footsteps. It would give this country the unity that it needs and help give footing to a slipping nation.