People can learn from their mistakes, but sometimes they don’t apply the knowledge

Hailey - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: setbacks

Everybody makes mistakes. That’s a common known fact. People often say that we learn from our mistakes. Well that may be true but it doesn’t mean that you change. I believe that people can learn from their mistakes, but sometimes they don’t apply the knowledge.

When I was little, my dad used to abuse my little brother: hitting, pinching, shaking, even just yelling at a lot. He would do it all the time and he got mad really easily. He would always take it out on us but it was usually my little brother that he took it out on the most. My brother doesn’t remember what my dad did because he was so little, but I remember. What he did caused us to leave a few times but every time, he would apologize, and we would come back. But he still kept doing the same things. Finally, he went too far one day, and my parents ended up getting a divorce when I was in third grade.

Another example is my uncle. He wasn’t necessarily a bad person but he stole from people all the time. He went to jail at least once, but when he got out, he kept stealing. One time, he stole some jewelry out of my moms car. That is all I know of for sure that he stole from my family. We have suspected him at other times though. He, like my dad, knew that what he was doing was wrong but he kept doing it anyway.

What about people that go to jail several times in their life and keep getting put back in because they’re doing wrong? They know that they are doing the wrong thing, but they aren’t changing themselves or their actions in any way. That is just one more example of people not applying the knowledge that they gain from making mistakes.

One last example is students at school. The ones who are rude to peers and teachers. Then they get in trouble, but do it over and over again. Why do they do it? Do they think that it is cool? It lowers their grade and does not make teachers or peers respect them at all. They are lowering their own self esteem and making people not enjoy being around them. You would think that they would want to try harder to make people like being with them, but they don’t change.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think that all people are like this, but there is definitely a large number who are. I know that people can change, they just don’t a lot of the time. That is why I believe that people can learn from their mistakes but sometimes they don’t apply the knowledge.