Lucy - Pleasant Grove, Utah

Lucy D

I live in a small city in a very sheltered community. I remember the first time I went to a large city: or at least a city large enough to have homeless people on the streets. I saw them sitting on corners, or leaning against walls with cardboard signs begging for money. I was surprised, and confused. I didn’t understand the problems of their lives, and I didn’t know that there were really people that don’t have homes. I was deeply upset and slightly scared of these human beings. When an elderly homeless man greeted me I shied away, and saw pain on his face. My view of the world had always been narrow. I had been oblivious to terrible situations all around me. Now, I believe in broadening my world.

As human beings we should be aware of, and learn about the lives and problems of others. On instance I tried to talk to my friends about problems in our nation and world. They had no idea what I was talking about. People need to know about problems like that. It is important to learn about other places, and other people. Learning about such problems can be upsetting, but it is essential to know about problems like that if we ever are going to fix them

We need to see the sights and sounds of the world around us: when we go on vacation, to visit family, or even just around our own community. We should pay attention and at least observe everything around you. Just watching you can see the lives of other people, the culture of the area, the problems and triumphs that they face. You can learn from all this. You can apply it to your life. Or, you can become more aware of large scale problems, and try to help with them. People cannot be concerned about helping others until they know the trouble faced by other people. You cannot do this without looking around you, and being open to everything you see. We need to be open to other perspectives. To do so we need to know what they are.

Now I have had many more experiences with people who are homeless. I have seen many more of them around on streets, and I have learned about efforts people are making to help them. I always try to learn more about all in my life. The world is vast, and there is so much out there that I have never encountered before, and I want to see it and experience it. I believe in broadening my world.