Turning to Happiness

Alex - Pleasant Grove, Utah

People have negative feelings. It is a fact of life. Bad things happen, and it makes people feel likewise. Very few people are able to overcome those feelings without becoming resentful towards something. I think of myself as being one of those people. Even in the worst of situations, I only feel down for a short time, and then pick myself up as though nothing had happened. Sometimes I ask myself “Alex, why are you always so happy?” I have finally found the answer to that question.

It might be best if I began explaining it with a brief story which sums up my life. Recently, I have been looking for a high school to go to, and have found one which meets my needs. However, it has a very small campus, and many people sign up to get in. They decided who gets in by way of lottery. I thought that I had a pretty good chance of getting in. I was so sure, in fact, that I began to make plans that would only affect me if I went to that school. I seriously thought that I was going there, no matter what.

But when the day of the lottery came, I found myself on the waiting list to get in, 85 slots down out of about 100. The chances of me getting in at this point are about 25,000 to 1 against, or at least it seems that way. When I found out, I was heartbroken. Something I had worked incredibly hard to get had been taken away from me. I felt resentful to the people who had made it in instead of me, the people who ran the school, my parents, my family, and myself for getting my hopes up so high.

But then I thought that there must be something good which came from me trying to get in and not. I realized that there must be some greater purpose for me, and to prepare me for it I had to try to get into that new school and fail. Because of that small, simple realization, I was able to overcome all resentment and remorse I had and replace it with anticipation for what lies ahead.

This whole story ties into something that I believe very strongly. We all have those moments where we think “Why did I do that?” At the time we did it, it made no sense, but almost always, it leads to something better which we didn’t expect. All events can be like that. We might think “Why did that happen? It isn’t supposed to happen that way!” I am sure that if we continue to live life with hope that whatever happened will help us, it will. You can always find something good in a bad situation, and with the right mindset, you can replicate it to make the entire situation positive. The world would probably be a better place if a few people decided to do this simple thing.