I Believe In Never Breaking A Promise

Renee - Greenwood, Indiana
Themes: family, integrity

I Believe In Never Breaking a Promise

Promises are simple yet very powerful; therefore, the breaking of a promise can have a greater impact on someone than one would imagine. It can cause disappointment, hurt, and even pain. I believe in never breaking a promise, no matter what it takes. When giving a promise you are giving your word to someone, and they trust that you will stick to your word and keep it. To me, being able to keep your word or promises says a lot about your character and who you really are. Trust is very important, and breaking trust can ruin a relationship. Especially since relationships are based upon respect and breaking a promise can cause a person to lose respect for you.

Although breaking a promise might seem justifiable, the person you broke the promise to will not always see it that way. The fact is that you never really know what that promise could mean to someone else, no matter how small or simple it was. Therefore, breaking it is not fair to that person. When you give your word that you are going to do something, someone else is counting on you to follow through and if you back out on them it could really be devastating and hurt them.

I have been on both sides of the equation. Many times when I was younger promises that had been made to me were broken by my friends and family. It always seemed to hurt worse when it was a family member that broke a promise; since, I have so much love and respect for my family. As I child I always acted like it was no big deal when my dad would break a promise, but in reality it was a big deal. I remember once when he was going to take a Saturday off so we could go fishing, and Friday after work he told me he could no longer go. I had gotten my hopes up only to be disappointed in the end. I would tell him it was fine and that I understood, but what I never told him was how much it really hurt and how much I had gotten my hopes up. To this day he still does not know how much I was hurt and how at times my respect for him went down a little because of my disappointment. I still have a great deal of respect for my dad, but it is still hard to trust his word when he promises something to me.

On the other hand I have also broken promises. In reflection it has come to my attention that I probably did more damage then I realized at the time. I think of when my dad broke a promise and how much it really hurt me, yet I did not tell him. So why is the situation any different when I break a promise to someone else? They are probably hurting just as bad as I did when I was younger, but just will not tell me. Like the times I tell my brother we will hang out, and then something comes up that is important to me and I back out on our plans. I know he looks forward to spending time together and I now regret many times when I broke a promise for a selfish or stupid reason, especially the ones made to the people that I love like my brother. More than anything I wish I could go back and change the times when I broke a promise. After realizing the pain I went through it feels horrible knowing that I might have caused that pain for someone else.

I believe in only making a promise when you know it can be kept, because you never know the damage that can be caused from a broken promise.