Sports: The Great Escape

Danny - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: sports

A basketball game. You see them down on the court, breathing hard, dripping with sweat. Eighteen seconds to shoot the ball. Eighteen seconds to win. Down by one. You can feel the tension. A football game. The linemen take their positions. The quarterback calls an audible from the line. They seem to be going in slow motion. Last play of the season. This is what it all comes down to. Everything else is forgotten. Nothing else matters. The whole stadium, caught in one moment, one second. Some biting their nails, while others close their eyes. It doesn’t matter who you are or where your from, at this moment, everyone is the same, everyone is equal.

All the other days of the year, people constantly have other things to worry about. They have families, relationships, and jobs. In the fast paced world we live in today everyone is always in a rush. For most of the populace there’s hardly ever a spare second. It’s always here to there, there and back. No pauses, no breaks. But when those magical moments come along, these blissful sporting events, everything changes. You don’t need to worry about the other aspects of your life. The only things that matter are the numbers on the scoreboard. I believe that sports are the best way to remove ourselves from what is happening everywhere else.

About once a week, I sit down on the couch. I then grab the remote and power up the television. I change the channel to ESPN or TNT, whichever one has a better basketball game being played. Becoming absorbed in the game happens almost instantly. Two points for the home team. Three for the other. An emphatic dunk happens, and I jump out of my chair. I’m not worrying about what other people around me will think, or whether or not I forgot to do my homework. Any sports help me to relax my mind on what is happening in my life.

In reality, big sporting events such as the super bowl or the world series, don’t actually have an impact on our lives, but if we didn’t have these escapes, where would we be? When you find time to flop on the couch and turn on the T.V. for your team’s next big game, it becomes easy to leave all of the “I forgot to brush my teeth again” and the “dang, I bombed that test” for a later time.

Sports. Athletic, physical, competitive, aggressive, energetic. These are all words that may be in a conversation about sports. But peaceful? Yes. Sports are the best way to avoid this planet of adversity and distress. There is nothing else that can surpass them in this area. This is what I believe.