My Hero

Emily - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: illness

My sister, Sara, had been exceedingly tired the past couple of months and nobody knew why. She slept for hours into the day but never seemed to get enough rest. She complained about her tongue all the time, and would wake up in the morning with bruises where she had gnawed away at her taste buds. On Sunday April 17, 2005 we finally solved the mystery.

Sara, had a seizure that day. I watched her eyes roll back into her head, her wrists cocked, fingers clenched into a fist, and shaking uncontrollably. Sara was completely unconscious, even to the point where she stopped breathing. In horror we rushed her the the hospital. I had never contemplated growing up with four brothers and no sister. Sara is the one person I can always trust with my secrets, and she’s my favorite source of advice. She always understands everything I am going through and always knows exactly how to fix it. She has been a constant best friend in my life.

I went to her room one summer morning to deliver a phone call. As usual, she was sleeping and my arrival did not please her. After I persisted she unwilling got out of bed. She stood at her door and stared straight at me, but didn’t see me. I didn’t even have time to blink before her limbs gave and she crashed to the floor seizing.

Watching her go through the struggles of being diagnosed with epilepsy made me realize just how strong she really is. Because of this she has to take several pills every morning and night to prevent a reoccurrence. She can’t even taste carbonation anymore. I remember getting so upset over the smallest things. If it had been me I would have had a mental breakdown. Sara was the opposite, she is and always has been the happiest person I know. Even when she wasn’t able to drive for three months after each seizure she still always looked for the positive.

Sara is my role model and a perfect example of what I want to be like. She has shown me characteristics I want to better develop in my personality: optimistic, caring, and courage. I always call her on weekends and know that no matter when or where I can always turn to her for help and comfort. I believe my sister is a true hero.